Early settlers in Pine Grove (Parker) got along reasonably well with the Indians. John and Elizabeth Tallman owned property northeast of Parker. The mountain-dwelling Utes frequently crossed their land heading toward hunting grounds. Elizabeth customarily left food for them, so she became a favorite with their chieftains. Jonathan Tallman, John’s brother, wasn’t so lucky in his dealings with Indians. Buried in Parker Cemetery, his headstone reads: “Killed by Indians, 1870.
The Parker family, consisting of four brothers and their families, gained prominence. James owned the 20 Mile House Stage Stop; George bought much of the property along Euclid Avenue (Main Street) east of Rte 83, donating some or selling it at reasonable prices to help the town’s growth.
William Rowley owned 160 acres in what has become Stroh Ranch. Later, his family bought 960 acres east of Parker, now known as Rowley Downs. William Newlin at first inhabited the land around Newlin Gulch, but later bought the Tallman property and its cabin. He brought 30 head of short horned cattle to Parker to improve the cattle industry in the area. Newlin Gulch, Parker’s experiment in gold mining, was named for him.
The Rowley Downs Homeowners’ Association Articles of Incorporation with the State of Colorado were signed on May 17, 1973.